An Exploration in Creating with Paper

Always a crafter, I found my passion for paper art in 2008. Mixing several different paper craft techniques and using all kinds of handmade and other specialty papers (and a few paper bags too) I began creating art pieces and landscapes. I feel like I am at the beginning of a long journey I waited 32 years to find. I have barely scratched the surface of this new passion and I invite you to join me on my journey! Happy creating everyone!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Next Flower



I love this flower. I used exactly the same technique and templates on this one as the one I made for my mom (see The First Real Paper Creation) but used different papers. This one is a simple 12x12 and is now framed in a 12x12 deep mahogony shadow box and hanging on my wall.

Doing the center of the flower in yellow really amped up the textural quality of this piece and over all I find it much more striking that my previous flower attempt. The use of mulberry and modge-podge for the petals resulted in a much more "alive" feel to the flower and quite frankly the mulberry (100gsm) was much easier to work with.

Paper Used:

Background - 12x12 scrapbook paper on cardboard (I DO NOT recommend cardboard - it bubbles which is why I never sold this one)
Flower petals - ivory 100gsm textured mulberry
Centers - standard yellow cardstock (2 1/2 feet long bu 1/4" wide)
Leaves - alligator paper (sorry don't know what it is officially called)
Branch - packing paper

Techniques:

Center - quilling
Petals, branches and leaves - handmade templates, handcut pieces. Leaves were layered with coats of modge-podge and then folded/shaped. Leaves are folded and inserted into hot glue down the center fold before attaching to piece to give it a permanent raised effect.

Lessons learned:

As mentioned above - I used a 12x12 piece of cardboard as the backer for this piece but a lot of modge-podge and other glues are necessary to make my pieces. Attaching the background paper to the cardboard caused the carboard to bubble. You could probably use spray adhesive but I tend to avoid these kind of glues for my projects because I can't afford for any of the paper to start pealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment